**Most of this blog is for girls only! Any boys, please only read the posts linked to in the "For Boys" page on the sidebar. Thank you.**

Friday 3 July 2015

How to change the '5-Minute-Devotions' attitude

**If you didn't read my last post, you probably should, because this one will make a bit more sense afterwards.**

So if we want to change our God-only-deserves-5-minutes-of-my-time (or something along those lines) attitudes, we need to do two things: tackle the root, and change our behaviour.

First, let's address the root. (Note: yes, I did not say anything about this in my last post. Why? I forgot about it, and only re-learnt this concept a few days ago (thank you Lord!).) As with any sin or wrong attitude, we can change behaviour all we like, but if the heart-root remains, we will slip back into wrong behaviours and attitudes. So we need to ask ourselves, "What is the heart-root of this problem? What lie am I believing about myself or God that is giving rise to these behaviours?" I'm not going to directly answer that for you, but (hint!) it's pretty clear. My last post pretty much described it, and it's easy to find with a quick heart-search. Bring it before God, confess it, ask Him to heal you from it, and replace it with Biblical truth.

ONLY after that is dealt with do we move on to behaviour. Here's some tips for changing the behaviour:

1) Deliberately set aside a longer time for quiet times (QTs). When I was first challenged to get serious about QTs, I committed to half an hour, and I found that a good amount. Now I find it isn't enough. Whatever your case, if you feel that the time you've put aside now fosters an attitude of selfishness instead of worship, extend it a bit. Sacrifice. That'll look different for different people. Don't fall into the trap of trying to 'beat' someone else's commitment, or feeling guilty because you only brought your time up 10 minutes instead of 20. This is NOT about earning God's pleasure. It's about doing what it takes to tackle a selfish attitude, and seeking to place our priorities correctly.

2) Set a specific time of day. This habit reduces the temptation of procrastination. Set a time, and stick to it. I heartily recommend first thing in the morning.

3) Seek some accountability. Let a trusted friend or family member know that you're trying to keep time with God as a top priority, and ask them to keep you accountable.

4) If you find yourself rushing your QT, pause, and just take those few extra minutes. Slow down and choose to prioritise.

5) Pray. Ask God to help you! Prayer is powerful, and praying will also remind you to carry out your intentions.


Do you have any more thoughts on how we can work at destroying the '5-Minute Devotions' attitude?

Cassie xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi all! Thanks for visiting! I'd absoloutly LOVE it if you would leave a comment, especially if you live outside Australia, I'd love to know that people in other countries enjoy my blog!!
Please be careful about what you say. Thanks!